Diabetes- Causes and Prevention
Diabetes is a group of metabolic diseases in which the level of glucose (blood sugar) in a person’s blood exceeds the normal. This happens when the body does not make insulin properly or the cells of the body do not react properly to insulin. Patients who have more than normal blood sugar are often disturbed by polyuria (frequent urination). They feel more thirst (polydipsia) and hunger (polyphagia).
Type 1 diabetes does not produce insulin in the body. About 10 per cent of diabetes cases are similar. Whereas in type 2 diabetes the body does not make sufficient amount of insulin. 90 per cent of diabetes cases worldwide are of this type. The third type of diabetes is gestational diabetes, which occurs in women during pregnancy. Diabetes can be controlled by maintaining proper exercise, diet and body weight control.
If the diabetes is not controlled properly, then the chances of having problems related to heart, kidney, eyes, foot and various neurological diseases could be increased in the patient.
Causes of diabetes
- Lifestyle: Sedentary lifestyle, an excessive amount of junk food, consumption of fizzy beverages and wrong eating habits can lead to diabetes. The possibility of diabetes also increases by sitting continuously for hours.
- Overweight/obesity: If a person is not physically active or is overweight, his or her weight is more than normal, then the probability of diabetes increases. Overweight hinders the production of insulin. The location of body fat also affects it. The accumulation of excess fat on the stomach impedes insulin production, which can result in type 2 diabetes, diseases of the heart and blood vessels. In such a situation, a person should keep a check on his weight while monitoring his BMI (Body Mass Index).
- Genes and Family History: Certain genes can increase the likelihood of diabetes. People who have a history of diabetes in the family, the chances of this disease are more.
- Not eating on time: When you feel hungry then you must eat it. Otherwise, the appetite starts decreasing and your body starts tired quickly.
- No proper sleep: People who do not get proper sleep are also at higher risk of developing diabetes, so make sure to have a proper sleep.
- Not doing yoga or exercise: People who do not do physical work at all are also more prone to diabetes, so you must give your body 30 minutes daily. This will keep you physically and mentally healthy.
- Exercise regularly: Sedentary lifestyle is one of the main causes of diabetes. At least 30-45 minutes of exercise daily is necessary to avoid diabetes.
- Balanced diet: Eating the right foods like fruits, vegetables and grains at the right time is very beneficial. Do not remain empty stomach for long.
- Control weight: Control weight by proper diet and regular exercise. Low weight and a proper diet can cure diabetes symptoms.
- Adequate sleep: Sleep seven to eight hours is important. During sleep, our body removes the toxins and repairs the wear and tear in the body. Waking up late at night and sleeping late in the morning increases the chances of diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Avoid Stress: Stress has become an essential part of everyone’s life today. Try to keep yourself away from stress through recreational and social activities. Also, consuming cigarettes during stress increases the chances of diabetes further.
Diabetes occurs when a person has a bad lifestyle, it is not necessary that he or she consume more sweets. If we talk about food and drink, it directly affects the body. If you eat anything at any time and neither do you sleep on time nor wake up on time. For all these reasons, your health is deteriorated and you get surrounded by many diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart. There is also a risk of kidney-related diseases